Sunday, April 27, 2008

Goodbye to the Freshman

It’s time - time for me to say goodbye to my Freshman year in college. After one year of weight gain, nervousness, and complaining throughout the semesters about my classes and professors, I have finally overcome it all and have managed to survive my freshman year in college without ever being on Freshman Warning - which is when you fail to earn less than a 2.0 GPA.

I learned that no matter what you do, it’s practically impossible to get a parking spot in the Parking Garage near the library after 9 a.m. I also learned that Outtakes and Coyote Jack's are the CVS on campus - being the only places open until 10 p.m. during the week where you can get anything from mozzarella sticks to Smirnoff.

I also learned that the Breezeway is the I-95 on campus and that it does suffer from rush hour traffic, that our Owl Cards are more important than a driver's license and carry a lot more money than our debit cards (at least for those who live on campus), and that the Social Sciences building should be called the SS building but instead we call it the SO building and it looks like a green spaceship.

But most importantly, there are three main things that nobody should miss during their freshman year:

  1. Go to a football game.
  2. Join a club/get involved.
  3. Go to a party in the Student Apartments.

This entire year was fun and I will always be grateful for having the opportunity of documenting my freshman year and for having consistent readers to share it with (thanks!).

That said…Goodbye to my freshman year and hello to my sophomore year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto on those three things.

The SO building is actually nicknamed "The Spaceship". Most people call it that.

Will you be continuing a blog about FAU for UP or somewhere else?

Unknown said...

Yeah, I hope to continue blogging for the UP. I'm just not quite sure of what it'll be just yet. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations....This freshman year which is about to end, is the first step in achieving what you have planned for you at FAU.
Next year will probably be more exciting than this one. Don´t leave the blog. Keep writing and good luck in your sophomore year.

Anonymous said...

Irene:
You made me cry!!!Ican't believe it is already the end of your freshman year.Ihope you can continue with your blogs.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Sorry guys it's Irene's mom.
Teyda
Mazel tov!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Irene—

Congrats on wrapping up your freshman year! I found your blog while searching for Fashion and wanted to see if you’d be interested in shopping at and reviewing the new Marshall’s Cube in-store boutique.

I’m with Rocket XL, a marketing agency based in Los Angeles, and we’re currently working with Marshalls on their new in-store boutique, the CUBE.
If you’re interested in getting involved, we’d love to give you a $50 gift certificate (no strings!) to enhance your first experience visiting The CUBE! We hope that you share your experiences with your readers.

Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll follow up shortly with further details on this opportunity. It would be great to work with you!

Thanks,
Andrea
andrea@rocketxl.com