Saturday, October 13, 2007

Homecoming Week is Near!

In high school, I never went to any dances or proms until my senior year. I never participated in much and I tried to stay away from Homecoming football games and packed stores at the mall trying to look for a dress.

This year, I've surprisingly been consumed by the excitement of my first Homecoming week in college. And let me tell you, it is a lot different from what freshman are used to.

First of all, I didn’t even know there was a Homecoming in college. I always thought that it was primarily a "high school thing." It completely caught me off guard when I started seeing posters around school telling us to vote for our Homecoming prince and princess. Even when I saw the posters around campus, I still wasn’t quite sure of what kind of Homecoming in college was all about.

It turns out that Homecoming in college is a BIG deal. Not only is the week full of fun events for everybody to enjoy, but people seem to actually participate in them and genuinely enjoy the spirit of Homecoming. This wasn’t the case back in my high school days.

Way back when, Student Government practically begged students to go to the pep rallies. We lacked serious school spirit and, on top of that, my high school football team took losing to a whole new level. Besides, the fact that we got ridiculed by other schools for having a condom as our mascot didn't really help. (Yes, The Trojans.)

In college, Homecoming week is actually fun. One of the big activities during Homecoming week is the comedy show, which will be held at the Carole and Barry Kaye Auditorium in the Student Union. To me, the comedy show sounds like a great idea to have a couple of laughs with real comedians for once.

There will also be a parade and a bonfire. A parade? Seriously? I don’t think anyone in high school even thought of that... let alone a bonfire.

Of course, how can we forget the football game — the single most important part of Homecoming week?

This year, our OWLS will be fighting Louisiana-Monroe at Lockhart Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 27. The football game is THE BEST way to get involved in school. You get a little bit of school spirit, have fun watching some football with friends, and of course, you get to lose your voice while cheering on our Owls. I definitely recommend going to it.

I’m kind of disappointed that we’re not having a dance this year at FAU. But I think all the activities coming up during Homecoming week make up for it.

Homecoming week will be great to mingle with fellow students and go out there and have some fun and forget about homework and papers for a couple of days. Check out all the activities planned during the week of Oct. 21-28 by clicking here.

GO OWLS!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a freshman at FAU and I was very surprised to see that Homecoming still exists in college. I thought i got out of high school already? Should I get ready and buy my prom dress ahead of time too?

This is ridiculous.
This is such a high school thing.

Not only that, but the worst part of all is that you would think there's ADULTS in the school, so what are they doing running for homecoming queen/king? How old are they? 10?

I enjoyed all of these things in my senior year of high school but we are older now, this is stupid.

Homecoming is a dumb tradition in college.

Anonymous said...

Actually, one of the sororities is putting on the dance for Homecoming. Just heard today.

To the anonymous poster, Homecoming has been going on for a long time in College. There's no Prom but people run for Homecoming King and Queen 'cause it's fun, simple as that. Don't take it so seriously. You're barely out of high school so don't act so high and mighty.

For college, Homecoming is supposed to be about more than just entertaining students -- it's also about bringing alumni home to see how the campus changed, meet up with old professors, cheer on the football team and hopefully donate money back to the school.
High school graduates don't come back for Homecoming. That's the difference.

Come to think of it, not even sure why it's called "homecoming" in high school since you're already there. You haven't left so you can't "come home."

The whole thing sounds like someone tried to bring a college tradition to high school as an excuse to boost football attendance and throw a dance.

Amanda said...

I didn't really go to dances until my senior year in high school either, and the same is true for college. I didn't know about homecoming until now. Go figure! Great Blog!

Unknown said...

I'm right with you. I actually thought Homecoming in college was a bit ridiculous, especially when I thought they were having a dance. Prince and Princess is a little much too, but I guess somethings never change eh?